Dealing with the Apple Watch’s Swipe Up or Down gesture issue where you are not able to open the Control Center or notifications?
Many users have reported that they have started experiencing this issue after the watchOS 8.5.1 update. However, there are also users who have claimed that they are experiencing it prior to the aforementioned update.
Many Apple Watch users are reporting a weird issue where they are not able to swipe up or down, making them unable to use the control center or notifications. The Apple Watch allows users to perform different swipe gestures to access different features of the watch.
The swipe-up gesture is one of them that allows the users to access the Apple Watch Control Centre. Along with that the Swipe down gesture which has also been seen affected as per the reports, allows the users to access the notifications.
If you are also facing the same issue, then here are some workarounds that you can perform in order to get the Apple Watch Swipe Up/down gestures working again.
How to Fix Apple Watch Swipe Up/Down Gestures not Working
Besides the issue being reported by many Apple Watch users on various community sites, there have also been fixes shared by some of them. Here are the compiles workarounds to get the issue resolved.
Fix 1: Reboot the Apple Watch
There have been reports by the users that a simple reboot of the watch has fixed the issue for them. You can also do the same for yourself and here’s how.
- Press and hold the side button to get the Power Off slider.
- Swipe the POWER OFF slider to the left. This will power off your Apple watch.
- Wait for a couple of seconds and press the side button again to boot the Apple Watch.
Once your Apple Watch is rebooted, try and check if the swipe up and down gestures are now working or not.
Fix 2: Force Restart the Watch
If the normal restart didn’t work for you, you can also try force restarting it. Many users have tried and fixed the issue by force restarting instead of performing the normal restart. To force restart the Apple Watch:
- Press and hold the Side Button and the Digital Crown.
- Release the buttons once you see the Apple logo on the screen.
- Now, wait for the watch to boot up.
Once the watch is booted up, check if the issue was fixed.
Fix 3: Switch between Watch Faces
This may sound a bit irrelevant but a user has reported that he was able to fix the issue by simply changing the watch faces. You can also give it a try.
To switch between the Apple Watch faces, simply swipe left or right on your present watch face. Cycle through the watch faces that you already have and simply stop swiping when you get your desired watch face.
Fix 4: Re-pair the watch and set it up as new
Lastly, if nothing works you can try unpairing the Watch from your paired device and pairing it back again. And during re-pairing, do not restore the backup. Instead, set up the watch as a new device. This process will not erase any of your previous health and fitness data or award badges as all of this data is stored on the paired iOS device and not on the watch.
With that said, these were the current known ways by which you can tackle the issue of swipe up and down gestures not working on your Apple Watch. Currently, there is no official acknowledgment from Apple regarding this issue and hence it’s hard to expect any official fix from the company any time soon. I will be updating the fixing guide accordingly and if you have some other way to fix the issue, please share it with us in the comments below.
- Fix Allow to share data with (null) on iOS/iPadOS 15 and watchOS 8
- How to Get Snapchat on Apple Watch
- How to Cancel All Alarms for Today & Tomorrow on iPhone
- How to turn off Core Sync on Mac & solve high CPU usage
- How to Middle Click on Trackpad or Magic Mouse in macOS
- 3 Best Pokemon Emulators for iPhone in 2022
- Fix External Monitor/Second Display not working on macOS 12.3 Monterey
- How to AirPlay to TV: Guide to Mirror iPhone & Mac on TV, Roku etc.
- How to Play Gomoku on iMessage [2022 Guide]
- iMessage doesn’t say ‘Delivered’? Here’s Why
Thanks – that worked for me. Very helpful.
We are glad that it helped. You can support our work by buying a coffee: https://ko-fi.com/X8X775X8R
Thank you, it was super helpful!