The Apple AirPods have seen great success in the audio device market and there are a number of reasons for this. These sound extremely good, they are handy, easy to use, and also support both Android and iOS.
But there are a number of AirPods users who are facing issues with the charging of the AirPods. There are instances where the users are either not able to charge their AirPods or the charging case in which they are placed.
In this fixing guide, I am going to share the ways to fix the issue if your AirPods case is not charging. If you are facing the AirPod case not charging issue then bear with me and I’ll show you how you can fix this problem.
Possible Reasons Why the AirPods Case is Not Charging
If your AirPods case is not charging when you plug it into a power source then this is definitely a serious issue as the charging case is the one that is responsible for charging the AirPods. If there will be no charge in the AirPods case, then ultimately your AirPods will be of no use. If the AirPods case is not charging then this can be due to a number of reasons.
- A faulty charger can be the reason behind this issue. It is quite an obvious thing that the charger that you are using to charge your AirPods is not working properly or if faulty then your AirPods are not going to charge anyway.
- A faulty charging cable can also cause this issue very easily. Besides the charging adapter, there is a charging cable that is used to connect the AirPods to the charging adapter. There is a high possibility that the charging cable is not working properly or has got damaged. This will lead to no power delivery from the charging adapter to the AirPods.
- Dirt in the charging port has been seen as one of the main reasons for most of the user’s charging issues. If the charging port of the AirPods case has accumulated dirt or deposition of some unwanted particles, this will lead to an improper connection of the charging cable to the case.
- The charging case can have a problem in itself. There are chances that nothing but the AirPods’ charging case is faulty itself. This is definitely the worst of all the reasons behind the AirPods case not getting charged.
How to Fix if the AirPods case is not charging
Based on the aforementioned reasons behind the problem you can solve it. Here’re the fixes to the AirPod case not charging issue.
1. Try a different charger and cable
The foremost thing to diagnose is to check if the charging adapter and cable you are using are faulty or not. For this, first, connect the charging cable to a different power source (you can use your laptop for this as well) and see if the case is charging.
If the case is charging then the charging adapter is faulty. If the case is not charging then the cable is not working properly. Based on the diagnosis you may need to replace your charging cable or adapter or even both in some cases.
Fix 2: Clean the charging port
There is a high possibility that everything is working properly and there is a very minor thing that is causing this big issue, the dirt. Most of the time, the charging port that is located at the bottom of the AirPod case gets choked with dirt.
This can easily hinder the proper connection of the charging port with the power source, leading to no charge input. Hence it is highly advised to give a proper clean to your AirPods to eliminate any such issues.
3. Update the firmware
Apple constantly releases patches and updates to its devices and the AirPods are no different. If it’s been a while since you have updated the firmware of your AirPods or if you have never since you purchased them, this is the time to do so.
There is actually no specific way to update the firmware of your AirPods. They get automatically updated to the latest firmware when they are connected to an iPhone or iPad that has an internet connection.
But this is not the case when you use an Android device. The firmware update stays pending until you connect the AirPods to an Apple device with an active internet connection.
Hence in order to update the firmware of your AirPods, you will need to have an iOS or iPadOS device. Once you have it, simply pair the AirPods with it and connect them. That’s it, the AirPods will automatically get updated to the most recent version by using the internet connection of your connected device (iPhone or iPad).
To check the firmware of your AirPods you can go to Settings > General > About > AirPods on your connected iOS device. There you can see the Firmware Version.
4. Reset the AirPods
Resetting the AirPods can also solve the issue of it occurring due to some kind of connectivity glitch or bug. There is nothing that you will lose in trying this method so, why not. Here’s how to reset the AirPods.
1. Place the AirPods in the case and close the case to disconnect it from the device.
2. Now, on your iPhone, go to Settings > Bluetooth > tap on the info button next to your AirPods.
3. Tap on Forget This Device and confirm the selection.
4. Open the AirPod and press and hold the setup button on the charging case for 15 seconds. The case light will flash white and then amber in color.
5. Now, bring the AirPods near your iOS device and connect them as usual.
You can refer to this tutorial video on how to reset AirPods:
5. Remove the accessories
There are chances that the accessories that you are using on your AirPods case are hindering the proper connection for charging. Hence it is highly advised to try charging the case once without any cover or accessory on it.
There are a number of cases for the AirPods case that are quite thick and if you have bought it for cheap there are chances that it is not allowing the charging cable to get fit properly in the charging port.
6. Take it to the Apple Store
Lastly, if nothing helps to fix the AirPod case charging issue, then sad to say, but there is a high chance that you have broken your AirPods case somehow. And in this case, the solution is to visit an Apple Store that is nearest to you and get the issue resolved.
If the AirPods are under warranty, the case will get replaced. For Apple Care+ users, there will be an instant replacement of the product.
So, these were the way by which you can fix the issue if the AirPod case is not charging. This issue can be solved easily as in most cases, the fault is from the charging cable or adapter’s side. Changing the cable and charger gets the job done.
But a dirty charging port has also been seen as the cause of the issue in some cases. Proper cleaning solves this issue. But there can be a fatal issue like the case is broken. And in that case, you will have to get it replaced if it’s under warranty or will have to buy a new one.