Raven Software, the game developer company behind the Call of Duty game series has recently rolled out the new Pacific update. But there is nothing surprising in the fact that like any new update, Raven Software has messed things up this time too. There is a big chunk of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare game users that are not able to play the Multiplayer mode. If you are one of those users and are looking to fix the issue, you have landed at the right place. In this fixing guide, I am going to show you how you can fix the COD Modern Warfare Multiplayer not working issue on your PC, PS4, PS5, and Xbox.
Why Multiplayer is not working on COD Modern Warfare?
There can be a number of reasons behind this issue and these reasons further diversify depending on which platform you are experiencing this issue. Here’s the list of possible reasons for the COD Modern Warfare not working issue:
- Missing Multiplayer Package can be the cause as if the required multiplayer packages are missing there is no chance that you’ll be able to play the game in multiplayer mode. This has mostly been in the new consoles like the PS 5 and the new Xbox Series.
- Launching the game via the Cold War launcher has been seen to create the issue of inaccessible Multiplayer in the game. This is definitely a bug and as a workaround, you can try launching the game separately.
- Corrupted cache files are one of the key reasons behind such unusual issues. The faulty or corrupted cache data on your console or PC can easily trick your system to believe that you don’t have the multiplayer components of the game. This can also lead your gaming console to believe that you don’t even have ownership of the game.
- Improper licenses or license inconsistency can cause the game to act weirdly for those who are playing on the PlayStation console. You can restore the license in such a case to fix the issue.
How to Fix COD Modern Warfare Multiplayer not working
After discussing the possible causes of the Multiplayer mode not working on Call of Duty Modern Warfare, let’s now explore its fixes.
Attention Windows Users!!
Facing issues on your Windows PC every now and then? We would recommend you use the Restoro PC Repair tool.
It is a one-stop solution to repair common computer errors, protect your Windows PC from data loss, malware, hardware failure, Registry issues, BSOD errors, etc. and optimize your PC for maximum performance in just three simple steps:
- Download Restoro Tool that comes with Patented Technologies (see patents here).
- Install and click on Start Scan to find the issues on your Windows PC.
- Finally, click on Repair All to fix the issues.
4,533,876 users have downloaded Restoro till now.
Fix 1: Launch the game via its dedicated launcher (PS4, PS5, Xbox & PC)
Assuming that the game is not making the Multiplayer mode accessible because of launching the game through the Cold War launcher, you can try launching the gamine separately. Ever since Activision incorporated the Modern Warfare Multiplayer and Warzone to the Call of Duty Cold War this bug is haunting the COD users. Hence based on which platform you are playing the game on, try to launch the game separately if applicable.
To solve this, stay away from the Cold War launcher to launch the Modern Warfare game and launch it from its dedicated launcher instead. This workaround works for both console and PC users.
- For PC users, you can directly open the game by double-clicking on the COD: Modern Warfare executable.
- For console users, launch the COD: Modern Warfare from its dedicated list of game and not from the Cold War interface.
In case you already tried this and you’re still unable to access the multiplayer component of Call of Duty Modern Warfare.
Fix 2: Clear the cache files (PS4, PS5, Xbox & PC)
As I have already told you that saved cache files with faulty or corrupted data can also cause your gaming system to think that you don’t own either the multiplayer facility or even the whole game in some cases. To solve this, you can try clearing the cache of your gaming system. Here’s how you can clear the cache files on PlayStation (4 & 5), Xbox (1 & series X), and PC (Steam & Battle.net).
Clear cache on PS4 and PS5
Sony has not provided any dedicated menu to clear the cache on Playstation 4 or 5. However, you can force clear all the cached data on the console by the following procedure.
- Press and hold the power button until you hear a beep sound. Make sure to do this while PS4 is turned on.
- The light indicator will stop blinking. Now, unplug the power cord from the back of the PS4.
- Wait for at least 30 seconds to drain out the power capacitors completely. At this time, all the temporary data that is currently cached will get cleared.
- Now, plug the power cord back in and start the PS4.
Once done, launch Modern Warfare and see if the issue is fixed.
Clear cache on Xbox One
To clear the cached data on Xbox One, follow these steps.
- With the Xbox One turned on, press and hold the power button on your console until the LED on the front of the console turns off.
- Once the console is off, unplug the power cable from your Xbox One.
- Wait for at least 30 seconds to ensure the deletion of cached data.
- Now plug the power back in and turn the console on.
Once done, launch the game and see if the Multiplayer components are not accessible or not.
Clear cache on Xbox Series X and Series S
The new Xbox consoles are much easier to use in order to clear the cached data. On the Xbox Series X and Series S, there is a software-based that can be used to clear the cache. Here’s how to do that.
- Come to the home screen of your Xbox series console and then press the glowing Xbox logo on your controller.
- Now go to Profile & System > Settings > All Settings.
- Once you are in the Settings menu, head over to Device & Connections tab and select the Blu-Ray option from the list.
- Go to Persistent Storage and select the Clear Persistent Storage option to clear the cache files.
- Finally, reboot your console and launch the game to see if the issue is resolved.
Clear cache on Steam (PC)
If your Modern Warfare game is on Steam then you may encounter trouble in proving the ownership of your game. Especially, when you have recently purchased the game and were previously owning the COD: Warfare. In order to fix this issue, you’ll have to verify the integrity of the game files.
Running the integrity check will not only scan and replace any of the corrupted files but will also clear and update the cache of the game. Here’s how to run the integrity check on your Steam app.
- Open Steam and with you signed into your game account, go to Library from the top menu.
- Navigate to Call of Duty Modern Warfare, right-click on it and select
- Inside the Properties of the game, go to LOCAL FILES and click on the Verify integrity of the game files… button.
- Click on Yes to confirm your selection and wait for the scan to complete.
Once done, reboot your PC and launch the game to check the status of the issue.
Clear cache on Battle.Net
If you use Battle.net launcher on your PC to launch Modern Warfare you’ll have to perform some manual steps in order to clear the corrupted cache files. To do so:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open Task Manager and kill all the Blizzard programs running in the background (e.g. Battle.net agent, Battle.net Update agent, etc.).
- Now, press Win + R, type in
%ProgramData%, and hit enter. This will open the ProgramData folder of your PC.
- Locate the Blizzard Entertainment and Battle.net folders and delete them.
- Restart your PC.
Once the PC is booted up, open Battle.net and launch the game to see if the issue is fixed.
Fix 3: Updating the licenses (PS4 & PS5 only)
This specific fix is for PlayStation console users. There are high chances that you are dealing with a licensing issue with your game on your PS4 or PS5 console. Sony’s gaming consoles don’t have very good service when it comes to keeping track of the ownership record of its users’ games.
With that being said, if you have recently purchased the COD Modern Warfare game then there is high chance that the licensing inconsistency is the reason for your issue. Luckily, Sony has prided a feature that enables its users to update the license to let the company know that they actually own this game.
Even if you are not able to play the Multiplayer mode on your COD. modern Warfare game the issue can be the license. To fix this, you’ll have to update your licenses, and here’s how you can do so.
Restore the Licenses on PS4
- Go to Settings from the home screen of your console.
- Once you’re inside Settings, go to Account Management > Restore Licenses. Confirm your selection if prompted.
- Wait for the process to complete and reboot the console after the process.
Restore the Licenses on PS5
- Open Settings from the top-left corner of the home screen.
- Go to Users and Accounts > Other > Restore Licenses.
- Finally, click on Restore and confirm your selection in the next prompt window.
- Wait for the process to complete and reboot your PlayStation 5 after the process.
Fix 4: Install the required Data Packs (PS4, PS5 & Xbox)
With the change in the multiple additional data packs required to play the multiplayer mode on the Modern Warfare game, it has become a whole lot confusing for the gamers to specifically know which Multiplayer Data Packs are exactly needed.
There is no doubt that COD Modern Warfare is a pretty huge game and maybe that’s why the game developers have provided the game in split packages. These different split packages are responsible for different functionalities of the game and the multiplayer mode is one of them.
In order to play the multiplayer mode in COD Modern Warfare here are the required multiplayer data packages that are needed to be installed alongside the main game of 90.2GB. Downloading these data packages may also solve the Missing Data Pack error that some players are getting in the Multiplayer mode of COD Modern Warfare.
The required additional Multiplayer data packs are:
- MULTIPLAYER PACK (6.0GB)
- MULTIPLAYER/ SPEC OPS PACK (6.7GB)
- MULTIPLAYER/ SPEC OPS PACK (12.3GB)
- MULTIPLAYER PACK 2 (22.1GB)
If you are short on any of these data packages on your game, you’ll not be allowed to play the game. Here’s how to install these Data Packs.
Install Missing Multiplayer Data Packs on PS5
You can install the missing data packs either from the PlayStation Store or from inside the game itself. The convenient ways to install it from the inside of the game. But before heading towards the procedure, make sure you have at least 90GB of free storage on your PlayStation 5 console.
- Launch the COD: Modern Warfare game and wait until you reach the home screen of the game.
- Press R3 on your controller to open the Manage Installs menu.
- Switch to the MODERN WARFARE GAME PACKS tab and install the above-mentioned multiplayer data packs.
Once the missing data packs are installed, reboot your PS5 and see if the issue is fixed.
Install Missing Multiplayer Data Packs on Xbox Series S and Series X
- Open Microsoft Store from the home screen of the Xbox Series console and search for Modern Warfare.
- Select the Modern Warfare game from the search results.
- Scroll down to the In This Bundle section and install the required Multiplayer Data Packs.
- Finally, reboot the console and launch the game.
So, here comes the end of this fixing guide and I am hoping that it was a helpful one for you. Most of the Call of Duty Modern Warfare players are not able to use the Multiplayer Mode and are getting the Missing Data Packs error.
This error is currently being reported by the user after the Pacific game update. In such a case the priority fix should be the Fix 4 from this guide where the missing Multiplayer Data Files. However, if there are issues with the ownership then other fixes can also be performed to fix them.
If you have any questions or suggestions regarding this fixing guide, please leave them in the comments below. Also, if you have some more fixes that have worked for you, the. you are most welcome to make the rest of the iExplainers readers aware of them too.