If you are dealing with the Code 45 error on your PC with the error message, “Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer.” then you are not the only one or not even fall in the category of those dealing with a pretty rare kind of Windows issue.
The Code 45 windows error is a pretty common one that Windows 11 and Windows 10 users face and is fixable. This error is experienced by Windows users in the Device Manager while checking the device status in device properties.
If you are seeking a solution to this issue, then bear with me in this fixing guide and I’ll show you how different ways to get rid of the problem.
How to Fix “Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)” Error
The Code 45 error describes that the hardware that you have connected to your PC is not being recognized by Windows.
This happens mostly with hardware devices like USB sticks, mice, keyboards, and other USB devices. This can happen due to things like corrupt registry keys, outdated drivers, or maybe faulty hardware.
Be it any cause, here are the ways to fix the error.
Attention Windows Users!!
Facing issues on your Windows PC every now and then? We would recommend you use the Restoro PC Repair tool.
It is a one-stop solution to repair common computer errors, protect your Windows PC from data loss, malware, hardware failure, Registry issues, BSOD errors, etc. and optimize your PC for maximum performance in just three simple steps:
- Download Restoro Tool that comes with Patented Technologies (see patents here).
- Install and click on Start Scan to find the issues on your Windows PC.
- Finally, click on Repair All to fix the issues.
4,533,876 users have downloaded Restoro till now.
1. Reconnect the hardware device
As the issue is arising because Windows is not able to communicate with the hardware, consider disconnecting (if possible) and then reconnecting it back to the system.
1. Disconnect the device from the PC.
2. Make sure that the connecting port and cables are working properly and are also aligned properly before reconnecting. If possible, you can also try connecting that device to some other PC to check if that device is faulty.
3. Replace the hardware (cable, port, etc.) depending upon what is faulty in your case.
4. Now, reconnect the device back to your PC.
Once done, open the Device Manager and see if the Cose 45 is solved for that hardware device or not.
2. Run the DISM and SFC Scan
Firstly, consider running the DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) and SFC Scan on your PC to check the integrity of the system files. To run the DISM Scan:
1. Search the Command prompt and click on Run as administrator to open it with elevated permissions.
2. Now, Execute the following command:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
3. Wait for the process to complete as it will take 20-30 mins.
Please note that the
DISM /Online command requires an active internet connection in order to work.
4. Once done, execute the following command to start the SFC Scan:
After the scans are finished, restart your PC.
Tip: For a more detailed tutorial, follow our DISM, SFC & DSKCHK Scan Guide.
3. Run CHKDSK Scan
The issue can also arise due to a faulty system disk. Hence you should run the CHKDSK Scan on your PC. To do so:
1. Search for Command Prompt and click on run as administrator.
2. In the Command Prompt window, run the following command:
chkdsk.exe /f /r
This will begin the disk scanning process. Let the scan complete and finally restart your PC.
4. Update/Reinstall the device driver manually
The issue can be just because some drivers are outdated or corrupt. In such a case, you can consider updating the driver and if the update is not available, try installing it.
To do so:
1. Open the Device Manager on your PC.
2. Navigate to the hardware you are facing the Code 45 error with.
3. Right-click on the hardware and select Update driver.
4. Click on Search automatically for drivers option on the Update drivers window.
5. Now, let Windows to search if there is any newer version of the drivers available. If there is, then follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
6. If there is no update available, then again right-click on that hardware device and click on Uninstall device.
7. Again click on Uninstall to confirm the selection.
Once done, restart your PC to get back the uninstalled driver reinstalled automatically and see if the issue gets resolved or not.
5. Update Windows
The pending windows updates can be solution all the issues as the windows updates come with improvements and fixes to most of the common Windows errors. Hence you should consider updating your Windows PC if you haven’t for quite a long time.
There are majorly 2 types of Windows updates, normal Windows updates, and optional Windows Updates. Consider installing all of the pending updates.
Installing the optional windows updates
1. Open the Windows Settings by pressing Win + I key combination.
2. Then navigate to Windows update > Advanced options.
3. Select Optional Updates, located under the Additional options section.
4. Check mark the available updates and click on Download & Install to begin the installation of the optional updates.
Installing the Windows major updates
1. Open Windows Settings.
2. Go to Windows Update and click on Check for updates.
3. If there are pending updates found, then download and install them accordingly and finally restart the PC.
Once you are done with the installation of all the pending Windows updates, restart your PC once and you should be good to go.
6. Replace the USB Device
If you are still getting the Code 45 error for your USB hardware, it is likely because the device may be faulty or not working properly. In such a case, you should consider replacing the USB Device. For this, you can consult a computer engineer to help you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What does code 45 mean?
Code 45 describes the error as, “Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer.” which clearly indicates that the Windows OS is not able to communicate to the hardware whose device status you are checking.
How do I reconnect a hardware device in Windows?
There is nothing complicated in this as Windows usually automatically detects the hardware changes. But it is not doing so, you can manually click on the Scan for hardware changes button or you can also restart the PC.
How do you fix “Currently this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)”?
There is no one go-to solution to this error as there can be any of a number of possible causes of it. Hence you’ll have to closely follow the different fixes that I have provided in this fixing guide.
So, these were the ways to tackle the “Currently this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)” error on your Windows 11 or Windows 10.
It is quite a common Windows error, that any Windows user can come across and can be solved by simple fixes like running the DISM, SFC, or CHKDSK Scan. If this doesn’t work, you can consider reinstalling the hardware driver and updating windows.
And ultimately if nothing works, consider replacing the hardware component with a new one as most probably the issue is occurring due to that particular hardware being faulty or dead.