Google Chrome is one of the most widely used web browsers across the globe and this is for good reason. Despite its wider acceptance, there are a couple of widely experienced errors. The ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE is one of those errors. Like most Google Chrome errors, this error message also doesn’t tell us anything about what kind of error it is and what is its cause.
Let me tell you that this error can occur due to a couple of reasons. Some of the key reasons are:
- Bad Internet connection
- Interuption of an extenstion
- Interuption of the Antivirus
- overloaded cache, coockies, and temp files
This is one of the most annoying and widely experienced Chrome errors and hence needs to be fixed urgently. If you are also looking for the fixes to the ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error then you have landed in the right place.
In this fixing guide, I am going to share 9 different ways to fix the err_empty_response error in Google Chrome.
How to Fix ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE in Chrome
Attention Windows Users!!
Facing issues on your Windows PC every now and then? We would recommend you use the Restoro PC Repair tool.
It is a one-stop solution to repair common computer errors, protect your Windows PC from data loss, malware, hardware failure, Registry issues, BSOD errors, etc. and optimize your PC for maximum performance in just three simple steps:
- Download Restoro Tool that comes with Patented Technologies (see patents here).
- Install and click on Start Scan to find the issues on your Windows PC.
- Finally, click on Repair All to fix the issues.
4,533,876 users have downloaded Restoro till now.
1. Check the Internet connection
The first and foremost thing to look at is your internet connection whenever you experience any error in the web browser including the ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE. Make sure that your PC is properly connected to the internet connection and the router and modem are also working properly.
If there is any problem with your connection then make contact your Internet Service Provider for the fixes.
2. Use Incognito mode
The incognito mode of the web browser makes it easier to browse the web with more privacy and without interruption. This is because the saved cookies and settings are detected at the end of the browsing session.
If the ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error is occurring due to the interruption of cookies using the Incognito mode can help you in resolving the issue.
In Google Chrome click on the three dots in the top right corner and select the New Incognito Window option. Alternatively, you can also press Ctrl+Shift+N on the keyboard. This will open up a new incognito window.
Simply enter the URL in the address bar to browse the web page that was showing the err_empty_response error.
There can be a problem with the save cache, site cookies, and browsing history of the Chrome browser. Clearing these things can solve the problem. In order to clear the cache, cookies, and history, follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome, click on the three dots from the top right corner, and click on the More Tools option.
2. Now from the menu, select the Clear Browsing Data… option.
3. From the popup menu, select All time and check all three boxes.
4. Finally, click on the Clear data option.
This will clear all the saved cache, cookies, and browsing history from the Chrome web browser. After clearing these things try to visit the site again and see if the issue persists.
4. Disable extensions
There can be problems with the installed extensions in your web browser. Faulty and unreliable third-party extensions from unreliable sources can come in between your browsing experience leading to errors like ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE.
Disabling such extensions can solve the problem. Here’s how to disable extensions on Google Chrome:
1. Click on three dots in the top right corner and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Disable all the extensions manually by turning off the toggle of each on them.
After disabling the extensions, try accessing the URL again and see if the error is resolved. If so, then try searching out the extension that is causing this issue by manually disabling and accessing the site.
After finding out about that extension, either keep it disabled or you can remove it by clicking on the Remove button.
5. Delete temporary files
Windows manages a filter called the Temp folder to keep all the temporary files. There are possibilities that these temporary files are causing the issue. Try deleting these temp files from the OS and see if the issue resolves or not.
Here’s how to delete temporary files on Windows:
1. Open the Run dialog box on your PC by pressing Win + R keyboard shortcut on your keyboard. In the text field, type “%temp%” and click on OK.
2. Now you will see the Temp folder on the screen. Select all files on this folder by pressing Ctrl+A and delete them.
6. Reset network settings
If the above-mentioned methods are not working for you then try troubleshooting outside Google Chrome. Try resetting your network settings which will reset the IP address configuration of your PC.
There is a possibility that the website that you are trying to access has changed, leading to an ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error.
By resetting the network settings the stored data of the old website will get cleared leading to the resolution of the issue. Here’s how to do that:
1. Search for cmd in the Windows Search bar and run the Command Prompt as administrator.
2. Now run the following commands followed by the Enter key after each command:
netsh interface show interface
netsh int ip set dns name=”Name” source=dhcp
Note: Replace Name with the name you saw after the previous command e.g. Ethernet or Local Area Connection.
netsh winsock reset
Now you can close the Command Prompt. Now open Google Chrome and try accessing the website and see if the issue is resolved.
7. Disable Antivirus
The windows firewall and Antivirus software are obviously made to protect us, but sometimes they interrupt unnecessarily the things that they find dangerous but are actually not.
The same can be in the case of the website that you are trying to surf. In such a case you can try temporarily disabling it. Here’s how to do that:
1. Search for Firewall in the search bar and open the Windows Defender Firewall option from the search results.
2. Now go to Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off and uncheck the Block all incoming connections option for both Public and Private network settings.
3. Finally, click on OK.
If you are using a third-party antivirus on your PC then disable that too. After that try to access the website and see if the err_empty_response issue still exists.
8. Switch to a different DNS
In most cases, the Internet Service Provider automatically assigns a DNS to its customers and most probably you are one of those customers. There are chances that the assigned DNS is temporarily down, or is not working properly due to overloading.
This can cause the ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error and in such a case you should try changing your DNS. Here’s how to do this:
1. Search for Settings and open it. You can also press Ctrl+I on the keyboard.
2. Select Network & Internet from the left and click on the Advanced network settings option.
3. Go to More network adapter options, right-click on the active network adapter (e.g. Ethernet or Wi-Fi), and go to Properties.
4. Double-click on the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) option and check the Use the following DNS served addresses option. Fill in the Preferred and Alternate DNS server blanks as per which DNS you want to switch to.
5. Finally, restart your PC.
Tip: You can try free and reliable DNS server addresses like Google (22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199), OpenDNS (188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206), and Cloudflare (220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168).
You have changed your DNS server successfully. Now check if the website is opening or the ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE issue still showing on the screen.
9. Use another browser
Lastly, if the issue is still there you can try using a different browser other than Google Chrome. There are browsers like Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, etc. that can be used.
If the problem is with the Chrome web browser then using a different browser to surf that website will lead to success.
So these were the 9 ways to troubleshoot and fix the ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error that occurs in Google Chrome. It appears sometimes due to Google Chrome having a hard time, but in most cases, other applications are the cause of it. I hope one of the above fixes worked for you.