If you encounter a freeze or crash of File Explorer while attempting to create a new folder using the context menu on your Windows 11 or Windows 10 computer, there are some troubleshooting steps you can take to resolve the issue.
Here are five potential fixes for resolving the problem of File Explorer freezing or crashing while creating a new folder on your Windows 11/10 computer.
Attention Windows Users!!
Facing issues on your Windows PC every now and then? We would recommend you use the Restoro PC Repair tool.
It is a one-stop solution to repair common computer errors, protect your Windows PC from data loss, malware, hardware failure, Registry issues, BSOD errors, etc. and optimize your PC for maximum performance in just three simple steps:
- Download Restoro Tool that comes with Patented Technologies (see patents here).
- Install and click on Start Scan to find the issues on your Windows PC.
- Finally, click on Repair All to fix the issues.
4,533,876 users have downloaded Restoro till now.
Fix File Explorer freezing when creating new folder
1. Restart Windows Explorer
Try restarting the Explorer.exe process to see if this resolves the problem.
1. Open the Task Manager on your Windows PC by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard.
2. Look for the File Explorer under the Processes tab and right-click on it.
3. Finally, click on the Restart option.
2. Run SFC and DISM
If the issue is caused by corrupted system files, running the SFC command may resolve it. To do this,
1. Launch Command Prompt as an administrator from the Start Menu.
2. Type the following command and hit Enter:
Let the command run and check if the issue persists. If the problem persists, you can try running the DISM command as well.
Tip: Read our detailed guide on how to use DISM and SFC Scans in Windows.
3. Check installed add-ons
Check if any add-ons or helpers have been installed on your explorer, as they are often the culprits of such issues. Even third-party shell extensions can cause Explorer to crash in certain situations.
To identify such problematic add-ons, you can use a freeware utility called ShellExView, which allows you to view and disable suspect third-party shell extensions. You can then try disabling/enabling the extensions through trial and error to identify the problematic one.
4. Use System Maintenance Troubleshooter
You can try running the System Maintenance Troubleshooter to fix the issue. To do this,
1. Launch the Control Panel from the Start Menu.
2. Click Troubleshooting. Make sure the View is set to Large icons.
3. Then click Run maintenance tasks from the System and Security section.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions to fix the issue.
Alternatively, you can open Run and type the following command in it to run the System Maintenance Troubleshooter:
%systemroot%\system32\msdt.exe -id MaintenanceDiagnostic
5. Try Windows in Clean Boot State
With the help of Clean Boot State, you can isolate your computer processes and identify the cause of the issue.
This is a lengthy process as you will need to disable programs one by one to identify the cause. Once you have identified the problematic program, you can consider removing or disabling it.
These are some troubleshooting steps you can take if File Explorer freezes or crashes while creating a new folder on your Windows 11/10 computer. Hopefully, one of these fixes will resolve the issue for you.