A number of Google Chrome users are reporting that the browser has automatically switched to the dark mode that won’t turn off. And if you are also among those Chrome users and are seeking a solution to this problem by switching the browser back to the light mode then you have landed at the right place. Here, I am going to show you how you can fix if the Google Chrome Dark Mode won’t turn off.
Read More: How to Enable Dark Mode on Google Search
Google Chrome Automatically Switched to Dark Mode and Won’t Turn Off? Here’s how to fix it
Chrome has adopted the dark mode and the same has also been in the Google Search engine for a while now. And this feature is definitely a widely accepted one. But there are still users who prefer to use Google Chrome on the native light mode. And such users will definitely face some difficulty in using the browser if it gets automatically switched to dark that won’t turn off.
In such a situation here are 4 different ways to fix this issue that you can try on your Windows or Mac PC.
Fix 1: Disable the Google Chrome Force Dark Mode Flag
If you are having a really weird kind of dark mode on your Chrome where everything has gone completely dark including the content of the web, images and icons of your PC, then this is possibly due to the force dark mode chrome flag. Consider disabling it in order to rectify the issue. To disable it:
- Go to the Chrome Flags page by entering the following address in the address bar:
- In the search field, search for dark mode.
- In the search results you’ll see the Fore Dark Mode for Web Contents.
- If it is enabled, then switch it to disabled.
- Once done, restart your PC.
Fix 2: Disable the Dark Mode of your PC
The dark mode of your PC can also tune your Google Chrome to switch to dark mode. Hence if you are seeking to use Chrome in light mode, consider disabling the dark mode of your Windows/Mac PC. Here’s how you can disable the dark mode on your PC.
Disable Dark Mode on Windows
- Open Windows Settings by pressing Win + I on your keyboard.
- Navigate to Personalization > Colors.
- Change Set the Choose your mode option to Light if it is set to Dark.
Upon setting the option to Light, the PC will get switched to the light mode including your Google Chrome.
Disable Dark Mode on Mac
- Go to System Preferences… from the Apple menu located in the top left of the display.
- On the System Preference window, click on General.
- On the next screen, select the option Light, located next to the Appearance section.
This will switch your mac to the light mode which should also include Google Chrome.
Fix 3: Change the Google Chrome theme
The dark mode of Google Chrome can also be due to your selected theme. If you have selected a dark coloured theme for your chrome browser. In such a case, you should consider changing your Google Chrome theme to light colours. To do so:
- Open Google Chrome, click on the kebab menu (3-dot menu) and go to Settings.
- Select Appearance from the left pane and click on Theme.
- This will open Chrome Web Store in a new tab, select a light-coloured theme and click on Add to Chrome.
- Alternately, you can aslo go to
chrome://settings/manageProfileand change the profile colours to some lighter shades.
Once done, you should be good to go.
Fix 4: Disable the Google Search Dark Mode
As I told you earlier, Google has also provided the dark mode of its web search engine i.e. Google Search. If you are getting the search results in dark mode then, this is probably due to the Google Search Drak Mode being enabled. To disable it:
- Open Google.com in Chrome.
- Click on Settings options, located in the bottom right of the web page.
- Click on Search settings option from the settings menu.
- Select Appearance from the left list of options.
- Finally, select Light theme to change the Google Search to light mode.
So these were the 4 different ways by which you can solve the issue where Google Chrome dark mode won’t turn off. Usually, this issue pops up because of the dark mode flag or the PC’s dark mode, and hence disabling these respectively can fix the issue. However, in minority cases, your can try changing the Chrome theme or disabling the Google Search dark mode. Lastly, if nothing works on your case, you should consider reinstalling Google Chrome. But prior to that, make sure that all your Chrome data is synced to your Google account.
- How to Enable Dark Mode on Google Search
- 6 Ways to Fix ERR_ICANN_NAME_COLLISION in Google Chrome
- Fix Google Photos stuck at “Setting up your photo library”
- 8 Ways to Fix DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET Error in Chrome
- 9 Ways to Fix ERR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED Error in Chrome
- 7 Ways to Fix ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE error in Google Chrome
- 11 Ways to Fix ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED error in Googe Chrome
- 9 Ways to Fix ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error in Google Chrome
- 7 Ways to Fix ERR_CACHE_MISS error in Google Chrome
- Fix Google account 2-Step verification issue on Ting mobile
- Fix Google Pixel 6 screen waking up randoml