It can be frustrating when these shortcuts stop working. Here, we have compiled a comprehensive guide to fixing keyboard shortcuts not working in Windows 11.
The keyboard shortcuts not working issue in Windows 11 can arise due to various reasons. It can be a problem with the keyboard itself or issues with the Windows 11 system that prevent the shortcuts from functioning properly. Outdated keyboard drivers and keyboard driver issues can also cause the keyboard shortcuts not working problem.
Attention Windows Users!!
Facing issues on your Windows PC every now and then? We would recommend you use the Restoro PC Repair tool.
It is a one-stop solution to repair common computer errors, protect your Windows PC from data loss, malware, hardware failure, Registry issues, BSOD errors, etc. and optimize your PC for maximum performance in just three simple steps:
- Download Restoro Tool that comes with Patented Technologies (see patents here).
- Install and click on Start Scan to find the issues on your Windows PC.
- Finally, click on Repair All to fix the issues.
4,533,876 users have downloaded Restoro till now.
Fix Keyboard Shortcuts Not Working in Windows
We have listed some of the best solutions to fix the keyboard shortcuts not working issue in Windows 11. Follow the steps for each of the solutions carefully to get the keyboard shortcuts working again.
1. Check Your Keyboard Hardware and Connections
The first step is to check your keyboard hardware and USB connections if you encounter the keyboard shortcuts not working issue in Windows 11. If you are using a wired keyboard and there is a problem with your USB port, the keyboard might stop working.
For a wireless keyboard, check the Bluetooth feature and reconnect your keyboard. Also, test all the keys on your keyboard to ensure that they register correctly. If you find that some keys are not registering, you may need to replace your keyboard.
2. Restart Your Windows 11 PC or Laptop
If your physical keyboard and the USB port are alright, try restarting your PC or laptop. A quick restart force-closes all running apps and processes in Windows and clears the RAM of your device.
If an app or a background process was causing conflicts with the keyboard shortcuts feature, it will be resolved with a restart.
3. Update/Reinstall the Keyboard Driver in Windows 11
Outdated keyboard drivers can cause the keyboard shortcuts not working issue in Windows 11. Follow the steps below to update the keyboard driver on your Windows 11 device:
1. Search and open the Device Manager.
2. Find the Keyboards option and click on it to expand.
3. Find your primary keyboard, right-click on it, and choose the Update driver option.
4. Choose the Search automatically for drivers option in the following window.
5. Wait for the update to complete.
You can also try reinstalling the keyboard driver on your PC or laptop to fix the keyboard shortcuts not working issue in Windows 11. Follow the steps below to do that:
1. Expand the Keyboards option and right-click on your primary keyboard driver again.
2. This time, click the Uninstall device button in the context menu.
3. Confirm your action and wait for Windows to uninstall the driver.
Restart your Windows 11 device after the uninstallation.
After the restart, Windows will automatically detect the hardware change and reinstall the keyboard driver.
4. Run the Keyboard Troubleshooter in Windows 11
Windows 11 comes with built-in troubleshooters to fix minor issues in system functions and necessary peripherals. Hence, try running the Keyboard troubleshooter when you encounter the keyboard shortcuts not working issue in Windows 11. Follow the steps below to run the Keyboard troubleshooter:
1. Launch the Settings app from the Start menu in Windows 11.
2. Under the System tab on the left nav bar, go to the Troubleshoot option.
3. Click the Other troubleshooters button on the following page.
4. Click the Run button associated with the Keyboard option and wait for the process to complete.
If the troubleshooter detects any misconfigured settings, it will instruct you to change them. Once you have completed the necessary changes, you can try using keyboard shortcuts again.
5. Restart HID Service
Another solution is to restart the Human Interface Devices (HID) Service, which is responsible for handling the operations of connected peripherals. Here’s how to do that:
1. Search for Services in the Windows search bar and open it.
2. Find the Human Interface Device Service on the right pane.
3. Right-click on it and select Restart.
Tip: For a better understanding, read our Windows Services guide.
6. Disable Sticky Keys
Disabling the Sticky Keys feature on your device can also resolve the issue if you have it enabled. Here’s how to disable Sticky Keys:
1. Open the Settings app.
2. Go to the Accessibility tab and select Keyboard.
3. Click the toggle for the Sticky Keys option to disable it.
7. Run SFC & DISM Scans
Running the System File Checker (SFC) scan is another way to fix the keyboard shortcuts not working issue in Windows 11. The SFC scan checks the system files and replaces missing or corrupt files in the directory. Here’s how to run the SFC scan:
1. Search for cmd in the Windows search bar and run as administrator.
2. Type in or copy-paste the following command and press Enter:
Wait for the scan to complete and restart your PC or laptop.
If the SFC scan does not fix the issue, try the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) scans. These scans check the disk images in Windows and help fix system-level issues. Here’s how to run the DISM scans:
1. Launch Command Prompt as an administrator.
2. Type in or copy-paste the following commands one by one and press Enter:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
3. Wait for all the DISM scans to complete.
Restart your PC or laptop.
8. Restart Windows Explorer Process
Sometimes, restarting the Windows Explorer process can also fix the keyboard shortcuts not working issue. Here’s how to restart Windows Explorer:
1. Press Crtr + Shift + Esc to open the Task Manager.
2. Go to the Processes tab and right-click on Windows Explorer.
3. Click on Restart.
9. Update Windows
Finally, if none of the above methods work, try updating Windows 11 to the latest version as bugs and glitches in an outdated version can also cause this issue.
How to Update Windows 11 on Your Computer or Laptop
If you are experiencing issues with keyboard shortcuts not working in Windows 11, it could be due to bugs and glitches in an outdated version of the operating system. In addition to problems with drivers and misconfigured settings, outdated system files can also contribute to this issue.
To resolve this problem, you should check for the latest updates for Windows 11 and install them promptly. Follow these simple steps to update your device:
1. Open the Settings app by pressing Win + I.
2. Navigate to the Windows Update tab on the left-hand side of the screen and click the Check for updates button.
In conclusion, keyboard shortcuts are an efficient way to navigate your computer and increase productivity. However, when they stop working, it can be frustrating and disrupt your workflow.
Fortunately, there are several methods to fix keyboard shortcuts not working in Windows, such as checking your keyboard settings, updating your drivers, and running the keyboard troubleshooter.
By following these steps, you can restore your keyboard shortcuts and continue using your computer with ease. Remember to regularly maintain your computer to avoid any technical issues and ensure a smooth experience.
- Fix Hyper-V Enhanced Session Login Option Missing
- How to Fix File Explorer Not Responding or Freezing When Creating New Folder
- Fix Hyper-V Enhanced Session Greyed Out or Not Working
- Fix Snip and Skets not Covering Whole Screen on Windows
- How to Fix News and Interests Memory Leak (High Memory Usage) Issue on Windows