In this fixing guide, we are going to talk about the Mailto links and how to fix them if they are not working or opening.
The Mailto links are HTML links that are used to let the website visitor directly send an email to the specified Mailto email address just by clicking on the link once.
But the Mailto links may not work for some users. And in this fixing guide, we’ve provided a list of ways to get back the Mailto links working and opening in your preferred email client.
Why is the Mailto Link Not Working?
There can be a number of reasons behind the Mailto link not working. Some of the most common reasons are as follows:
- You are not signed in to your default Email client.
- Your Google Chrome Handlers are turned off.
- Your preferred client is not added to the Chrome Handlers.
- Your default Email client is not set to some other browser or app.
Attention Windows Users!!
Facing issues on your Windows PC every now and then? We would recommend you use the Restoro PC Repair tool.
It is a one-stop solution to repair common computer errors, protect your Windows PC from data loss, malware, hardware failure, Registry issues, BSOD errors, etc. and optimize your PC for maximum performance in just three simple steps:
- Download Restoro Tool that comes with Patented Technologies (see patents here).
- Install and click on Start Scan to find the issues on your Windows PC.
- Finally, click on Repair All to fix the issues.
4,533,876 users have downloaded Restoro till now.
How to Fix Mailto Link Not Working
Below are the working ways to fix the Mailto Links if they are not working or opening.
1. Enable Protocol Handlers in Google Chrome
If the protocol handlers are not set properly on your Google Chrome, then the Mailto links may not open at all. Here’s how to enable and configure the Protocol Handlers on your Google Chrome:
1. Enter the following URL in your Google Chrome address bar:
2. This will open up the Protocol Handlers settings page on your Chrome browser. Here, set the radio button to the “Sites can ask to handle protocols” option.
3. Once done, open up your preferred email client e.g. Gmail in a separate Chrome tab. Here you’ll see a small protocol handler icon inside the address bar. Click on it.
4. Finally, set the radio button to “Allow” and click on “Done” to save the changes.
2. Change the default Mailto Behaviour on your PC
If your PC is set to treat the Mailto links with some other default apps or clients then you might pose issues with the expected behavior of the Mailto links.
Hence you should check and accordingly treat the Mailto protocols set on your computer.
Change Mailto Behaviour on Windows
1. Open the Windows Settings from the Start menu or by pressing Win + I on your keyboard.
2. Click on the Apps tab on the left and then go to Default Apps from the right.
3. Scroll down and click on the “Choose defaults by link type” option under the Related Settings section.
4. Search for “mailto” in the search bar and open the search result under the MAILTO section.
5. Finally, from the popup window, select the preferred app or Email client e.g. Microsoft Edge, and click on Set default.
Change Mailto Behaviour on Mac
1. Open the Mail app on your Mac. Make sure that you are signed in with your email account on the Mail app.
2. Now, click on the Mail option on the left of the Menu Bar and go to Settings.
3. Switch to the General tab on the Mail settings window and select your preferred email client or app to open the Mailto links from the “Default email reader” drop-down menu.
3. Set default Mailto Behaviour on Firefox
If you are dealing with the Mailto link issues on your Firefox web browser, then you should check for the default Mailto behavior once, and if it is not set to a proper email client or app, then set it accordingly as per your preference. To do so:
1. Open the Firefox web browser and go to its settings. For this, enter the following URL in the address bar.
2. Once you are in the Firefox settings, switch to the General tab from the left and search for “Mailto” under the Application section.
3. Now, select your preferred email client or app from the drop-down menu under the Action column.
4. Use the Right-Click Context Menu
You can also use the right-click context menu to open the Mailto link in your preferred app. To do so:
1. Right-click on the Mailto link that you want to open.
2. Now, click on the “Open Link with…” option.
3. Now, select the app that you want to use to open your Mailto link.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I enable Mailto in Chrome?
The Google Chrome Protocol Handler is needed to be enabled in order to open the Mailto links in Google Chrome. To enable Protocol Handler, open Google Chrome and go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Site Settings > Additional permissions > Protocol Handlers and select the “Sites can ask to handle protocols” option.
Why is the Mailto Link Not Working?
This can occur due to a number of reasons e.g. You are not signed in to your default Email client, Your Google Chrome Handlers are turned off, Your preferred client is not added to the Chrome Handlers, Your default Email client is not set to some other browser or app, etc.
How to get Mailto links to open in Chrome instead of Outlook?
To open the Mailto links in Google Chrome instead of Outlook, open Windows Settings and go to Apps > Default Apps > Set default apps by link type > and set Google Chrome as the default app to open the Mailto links.
Do Mailto links work with Gmail?
Yes, the Mailto links work with Gmail as well as with every other email client. You just have to set Gmail as the default app for Mailto links.
- 9 Ways to Fix Google Chrome Crashing While Printing in Windows 11
- How to Save Bing AI Chat History
- Is Crunchyroll Not Working on Google Chrome? Try these fixes!
- Fix VAN9003 Valorant Error on Windows 11
- How to Fix the “Your Windows Insider Build ran into a problem” Green Screen of Death on Windows 11