With the buzz of Web 3.0, crypto and NFTs, there are a number of wallets that have been seen emerging in the market. The Metamask is one of the most widely used of them and is currently used by the majority of Crypto and NFT holders to hold and buy crypto assets. But there are many users who are reporting that Metamask is not working on their Chrome, Firefox or Brave browser. They are not able to use the Metamask extension on the web browser making it hard to do almost anything on the web 3-based websites.
If you are also facing the same issue on your browsers, then here is a list of fixes that you can try in order to solve the issue. Let’s get on to them.
How to fix if Metamask is not working
Even though the term “Metamask is not working” doesn’t provides very clear info about what issue you are facing, here are some of the basic and working fixes that you can perform in order to solve the Metamask not working problem.
Fix 1: Restart the Browser and the PC
Restarting the browser and PC is a good and primary thing that you should do in order to rectify any kind of basic glitch or bug, the extension or the browser is going through. Firstly, try to restart the browser that you are using the Metamask with and see if you are now able to use Metamask. If not, then this time try to perform the restart of your whole system. This will kill all the background processes related to Metamask and the browser, refreshing the browser and the system.
Fix 2: Switch the Metamask network
This is possible that your Metamask wallet is currently on a network that is not supported by the website that you are trying to connect it with. For example, if you are on a website that works on the Binance network chain but the Metamaks is set on the Ethereum network, then it is obvious that the wallet is not going to connect to that website. In order to use it on that website, you’ll have to switch the Metamask wallet to the Binance chain and then you’ll be able to connect it with the website and will ultimately be able to use it. To switch between the networks:
1. Click on the Metamask icon to open it.
2. Click on the network dropdown menu to select the appropriate blockchain network. In my case, I am currently using Metamask with the Binance Smart Chain network.
3. Now, from the menu select the appropriate network that is supported by the website you are trying to connect Metamask with. If the network is not listed there, you can add by clicking on the Add Network button.
Fix 3: Update/Reinstall Metamask
It may be possible that your Metamask extension is not up to date. An outdated version of the Metamask extension can cause incompatibility with sites, ultimately leading to unusable Metamask Hence you should check the Metamask version and if it is outdated, then install the latest one.
To check the Metamask version:
1. Click on the Metamask extensions.
2. Click on your profile picture and go to Settings.
3. In settings, go to About.
5. In the About section, you’ll see the current version of your installed Metamask extension. Match it with the latest version of the extension by going to its Chrome web store page or Firefox Metamask Addons page depending on which browser you are using.
6. If you found your version to be outdated, then remove the current extensions and download the latest one from the respective Chrome or Firefox store.
Even if the MetaMask is up to date, I would recommend you to still remove and re-install the extension once on your web browser in order to refresh the extension.
Note: After reinstalling the extension you’ll be needed to sign in again into MetaMask and for that, it will ask for your credentials and your unique Secret Recovery Phrase. Make sure to note it down somewhere by going to MetaMask profile picture > Settings > Security & Privacy > Reveal Secret Recovery Phrase.
Fix 4: Clear MetaMask Site Data
Next, you can try clearing the site data for the MetaMask extension. This will make sure to clear all the stored cache files that may possibly be causing the problem. To clear the site cache on Google Chrome:
1. Click on the MetaMask extension icon to open it.
2. Right-click anywhere in the empty space of the extension window and select Inspect.
3. In the Inspection Chrome window, switch to the Application tab and click on the Storage option from the left pane under the Application section.
4. Finally, click on the Clear site data button.
Fix 5: Check if MetaMask servers are down
Even though this is extremely rare to have the servers of the application down for some reason. But if your MetaMask is not working for no reason, then you should check if the MetaMask servers are serving the service fine. To do so:
1. Head over to the SaaSHub website, search for MetaMask and click on the appropriate result.
2. Click on the status page button.
3. On the status page, it will inform you whether MetaMask is up or not.
If the MetaMask status says that it is down, then there is nothing that you can do from your end. Just wait until it is fixed by the MetaMask admins. However, if it is up, then you should consider moving on to the next fix.
Fix 6: Clear Browser Cache
The browser cache file may pose such issues for absolutely no reason but just corrupted data. In such a case, clearing the cache files of the browser is a good option. Here’s how to clear the cache on Google Chrome:
1. Open chrome Settings by going into the three-dot menu from the top right corner.
2. Select Privacy & Security from the left and go to Clear browsing data. Alternately, you can also
chrome://settings/privacy address in the address bar to eliminate the above steps.
3. Now switch to the Advanced tab, select the time range to All time, check all the boxes except the “Passwords and other sigh-in data” and “Auto-fill form data” options. Finally, click on Clear Data.
Fix 7: Reset the MetaMask account
Lastly, if nothing works, then you can try resetting the MetaMask account. This will clear all your transaction history and other saved data but your crypto and balance and NFTs will be there intact. Also, please note that you will need to enter your Secret Recovery Phrase so don’t forget to back up it.
1. Open the MetaMask extension, click on the profile photo and go to Settings.
2. Go to Advanced and click on the Reset Account button.
So that’s it for this fixing guide. I hope that you would have got the solution and are now using the MetaMsask without any issues. The possible reason for this problem is that the MetaMask is on a different network that is not matching with the network used by the website you are trying to use MetaMask on. Switching the MetaMask network can easily solve this problem. However, in some cases, the issue occurs due to caching problem or incompatibility issue. For this, consider clearing the MetaMask site data, browser cache and updating the MetaMask extension and the web browser.
- How to set Google as default search engine in Brave browser
- How To Fix Google Chrome Dark Mode Won’t Turn Off
- 6 Ways to Fix ERR_ICANN_NAME_COLLISION in Google Chrome
- 8 Ways to Fix DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET Error in Chrome
- 9 Ways to Fix ERR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED Error in Chrome
- 7 Ways to Fix ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE error in Google Chrome
- 11 Ways to Fix ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED error in Google Chrome
- 9 Ways to Fix ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error in Google Chrome
- 7 Ways to Fix ERR_CACHE_MISS error in Google Chrome
- 11 Ways to fix ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED error in Chrome