If you are trying to live stream something which is on your PC or Mac but you are not able to do this using OBS Virtual Camera, then you are at the right place, my friend. In this guide, I will tell you all the reasons why OBS’ virtual camera stops working or showing up along with the various fixes which will help you resolve this issue.
What is OBS Studio?
OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) Studio is one of the best screen recording and streaming software. Users tend to move to these third-party software applications like this because Windows built-in recording tools do not offer such solutions.
The virtual camera feature in OBS Studio is an excellent feature because it allows us to modify or change the video output of the webcam, and enhance the video quality. This becomes all the more important in present times when video conferences have become part of our lives.
Reasons why OBS Studio Virtual Camera is Not Working or Showing up?
If the OBS Studio virtual camera is not showing up it could be due to many reasons:
- Misconfigured System Settings.
- Absence of Relevant permission.
- Lack of Virtual Camera.
- Using an older version of the software.
- Incorrect webcam selection.
How to properly set up Virtual Camera in OBS Studio
The very first thing before using the OBS Virtual Camera is to set up the virtual camera before using it in other live streaming applications. Let’s learn how you can set up a Virtual Camera in OBS Studio.
1. Open the OBS Studio. Situated at the bottom left corner click on Add icon under Sources.
2. From the pop-up menu select Video Capture Device.
3. As soon as you click on Video Capture Device Create/Select Source pop-up appears. Here select Create New and enter the source name as per your choice(here it is Video Capture Device) and then click on OK.
4. Properties for Video Capture Device appear. Here in the Device section select OBS Virtual Camera and then press OK.
That’s it! A virtual camera is now added to OBS Studio and it will appear in other apps from now on.
What to do if OBS Virtual Camera is not working or showing?
Some users have reported that the OBS Virtual Camera is not showing up in OBS Studio. Without any further due let’s walk you through the OBS Studio virtual camera is not working or showing up problem and the most effective ways to fix it:
1. Restart your PC
Many a time a simple Restart solves the problem. Restarting the PC ensures the elimination of temporary system bugs or glitches. Here is how you can do that:
1. Open the Windows Start Menu by pressing the Windows key on your keyboard and clicking on the Power Button.
2. From the list of options that appears, select Restart.
Several users reported that OBS Studio is not showing up in Teams due to a conflict. Here it is generally a minor bug or some background process that is conflicting with the functioning of the software. If restarting the PC does not fix the issue, then head to the next method.
2. Run OBS as an administrator
A program needs several permissions to run, and while some programs are good to go with just a few of these, others may require administrative privileges. So you should set OBS Studio to run as an administrator. Follow the below-mentioned steps to do the same:
1. Right-click on the OBS Studio shortcut and then click on Properties. Alternatively, you can left-click on it and then press Alt + Enter.
2. In the Compatibility Tab, check the box Run the program as an administrator and then click on OK.
From now whenever you open OBS Studio it will get opened with Administrative privileges.
3. Make sure camera permission is enabled for OBS
The next thing you should do is ensure that you have granted camera access to OBS Studio. There might be some changes to your system due to which the camera access is disabled for all apps or for OBS Studio intentionally or unintentionally. Hence, we should check if the camera permission is turned on for OBS Studio or not.
Here are the steps to enable camera access for OBS Studio:
1. Press Windows + I keys on your keyboard to open the settings app.
2. On the settings page, go to the Privacy & Security tab, then in the App Permissions section click on Camera.
3. After clicking on the camera look for the obs app and make sure the toggle switch associated with the desktop app(Since it is not downloaded from the Microsoft store so it is considered a desktop app) is enabled. If not, toggle the switch on.
4. Once done, open CBS Studio and see if the camera starts working or not.
Although this setting is not associated with the Virtual Camera feature of the OBS app, it is recommended that you provide this permission to the OBS Studio.
4. Make sure the virtual camera is turned on
The OBS Virtual Camera might be deactivated which is why you are experiencing the issue at hand. If this is the case, then you just need to enable Virtual Camera on OBS Studio and the problem will be fixed. Follow the following steps to do the same:
1. If you see a screen like this on Zoom ( or in any other app that uses the camera feature) when using OBS Virtual Camera, it indicates that the feature is not turned on.
2. Open the OBS Studio app, and click on the Start Virtual Camera option near the bottom-right corner.
3. Once done, also verify that it’s been Activated. For that make sure the button next to the filters reads Deactivate.
5. Update OBS Studio to its latest version
OBS Virtual Camera was not available on the older versions. It may happen that you may be using an older version of the app. So updating it becomes necessary. Update the OBS Studio as follows:
1. Launch the OBS Studio app. Click on the Help menu from the menu bar.
2. Now click on Check for Updates. Follow the further process accordingly.
6. Reinstall OBS Studio
The previous installation of OBS Studio might have gone corrupted or there might be some infected or broken installation files associated with it. As a result, certain functions of the app are not working fine. Hence it becomes necessary to reinstall the OBS Studio. Follow the following steps to first uninstall and then reinstall it:
1. Search for Apps & Features in the search option of the Start Menu.
2. In the Apps list search for OBS and then click on the three dots alongside the app name in the right corner and from the drop-down menu click on Uninstall.
3. Once OBS is uninstalled it’s time to re-install it. Download the latest version of OBS Studio from here and install it.
After installing the OBS again set up your camera as was shown in this guide above.
7. Use other alternatives like OBS Studio
If you have tried all these solutions and do not seem to solve the issue, a quick fix would be to try an alternative software.
There are many reliable screen recording software that offers a similar feature set to OBS Studio. We have listed the two best apps here:
- Camtasia: One of the best alternatives is Camtasia. It comprises both a screen recorder and a video editor. You can use this app to create videos from start to finish.
It includes everything you need to create professional-level content. It offers templates, presets, drag-and-drop video editing, built-in royalty-free music and images, web camera capture, and many more.
Download Camtasia from here.
- Wondershare DemoCreator: Wondershare DemoCreator is a paid tool that is packed with top-notch features. Users will also get an integrated editor that will let them tweak the recorded footage with details. Download Wondershare DemoCreator from here.
This is it! In this fixing guide, I told you about all the fixes that can be undertaken to solve the issue of the OBS Virtual Camera not Showing or Working. Do tell us in the comments below which fix worked for you. If you loved what we did then share this with the needy ones. Thank you. Stay with us.
- How To Make And Use Discord Reactive Images
- Fix “Failed to open NVENC CODEC” OBS error
- Best Apps for Apple Watch 8 & 8 Ultra
- Fix AutoIt error (Line 0) on Windows 11/10
- 7 Best Android Apps for your Windows 11 PC
- How to Use Apple Magic Mouse on Windows
- How to Fix ”Standard hardware security not supported” error
- Fix: Xbox Wireless Adapter Not Working on Windows
- Fix Task Manager Dark Mode Not Working in Windows 11
- Fix “This build of Vanguard is out of compliance with current system settings.” in Valorant