If you are facing the issue of a Wallpaper engine crashing on your Windows PC, then you have landed at the right place. Here, I am gonna show you how you can rectify the issue of crashing the wallpaper engine on your Windows 11 or Windows 10 PC. The wallpaper engine crash sometimes delivers the error code 0xc0000005 while other times, there is no info provided at all. Here is how you can fix this issue.
How to Fix the Wallpaper Engine Crashing on Windows
The wallpaper engine is controlled by the GPU of your PC, and there are high chances that your GPU drivers are not working properly and experiencing some corruption. In such cases, updating or reinstalling the drivers may help. However, in some cases, there are pending additional Windows updates, corrupted system files, etc. that can crash the windows wallpaper engine. Here are comprehensive steps to troubleshoot the issue using different methods.
Fix 1: Update/Reinstall GPU Drivers
The very first thing to start with is your GPU drivers. GPU is the component that controls the display output on a PC and hence you should consider updating its GPU drivers. If there is no update available, reinstall the drivers to refresh them.
- Open the Device Manager by searching for the same on your PC.
- Double-click on the Display adapters section to expand it.
- There will be your GPU driver listed. Right-click on it and select Update driver.
- Select the Search automatically for drivers option.
- Proceed by folowing the on-screen instruction and if there is any update available.
- But if there is no update available then , again right0click on te GPU driver and click on Uninstall device.
- Again click on Uninstall to confirm the selection.
Once this is all done, restart your PC and see if the issue is fixed. If the issue is still there, you can further go to the driver download page of your GPU manufacturer and download the latest driver manually just to make sure that you have the latest one.
Fix 2: Temporarily disable the Antivirus
There are possibilities that the Antivirus program that you are using on your PC is interfering with the Wallpaper Engine on your system. You can confirm it by disabling the Antivirus for a brief period of time and seeing if the wallpaper engine is still crashing. The process of disabling the Antivirus may vary from program to program but in most cases, the icon tray at the bottom right of the taskbar consists of the antivirus program and can be disabled from there.
If after disabling the antivirus, the wallpaper engine is working fine and is not crashing, then it is very clear that the antivirus is causing the issue and hence you will have to solve it. You can specifically look for the wallpaper engine file that is being blocked by the antivirus and can add it to the exception list of your antivirus.
Fix 3: Run SFC Scan
SFC stands for System File Checker which is the Windows’ in-built tool that can be used to check the integrity and working of the system files. Running the SFC Scan will make sure that all the files are working properly, and if there are system files that are missing or corrupted, will also get fixed. To run the SFC scan on Windows:
- Open Command Prompt with elevated permissions.
- On the CMD Windows, execute the
- This will begin the SFC Scanning porcesson on your PC. Wait for the scan to complete and restart the PC by following the instruction of the scanning.
Once done, check if the issue is fixed or if the wallpaper engine is still crashing.
Fix 4: Reinstall Razer Synapse
If you are facing a wallpaper engine crash on your Razer machine, like the Razer laptop or Razer desktop, then you should consider reinstalling the Razer Synapse program. It has been seen that the Razer Synapse program was facing issues/corruption in many of the razer machines, leading the wallpaper engine to crash on the system. In such a case, you should consider reinstalling the program.
- Open Run diaplog box by pressing Win + R on the keyboard.
appwiz.cplin the run field and click OK.
- This will open the Programs & features windows. Select the Razer Synapse program from there and click on Uninstall.
- Again click on Uninstall to confirm the selection.
- Once done, head over to the Razer Synapse page and download the program by clicking on Download Now.
- Open the download programa and install by following the on-screen instructions.
Once you have reinstalled the Razer Synapse program on your PC, restart it and check if the issue is resolved.
Fix 5: Install the Optional Updates
There may be some pending Windows Optional Updates on your PC. These updates usually come with driver updates and hence are actually important in some cases. Hence you should check if there are any pending optional updates. If there are, then install them.
- Open Windows Settings.
- Navigate to Windows update > Advanced options.
- Click on Optional Updates, located under the Additional options section.
- Now, check mark the available updates and click on Download & Install to begin the installation of the pending optional updates.
Once the installation is done, restart your PC and check if the issue is rectified or not.
Fix 6: Install Windows Updates
If there is any major Windows update that is pending on your system then please consider installing it. It may possibly solve the crashing wallpaper engine.
- Open Windows Settings (Win + I).
- Go to Windows Update and click on Check for updates.
- If there are pending updates found, then download and install them accordingly and finally restart the PC.
Fix 7: Reset the PC
Lastly, if nothing works, then the last hope is to reset your PC. This process can result in data loss if not done properly and carefully. Hence follow the below steps to ensure that there is no data loss.
- Open Settings by pressing Win + I.
- Go to System > Recovery.
- Click on the Reset PC option, located under the Recovery options section.
- Select the Keep my files option to prevent the data loss. If you don’t have issue with the data loss the you can also select the Remove everyting (more effective).
- Follow the on-screen instructins and complete the reset process.
So, these were the way that will possibly fix the issue of the crashing wallpaper engine on your Windows PC. This mostly happens due to some issue on the GPU driver and hence gets solved after updating/reinstalling the GPU drivers. However, in some cases, the pending Windows updates can also solve the issue.
- Fix AutoIt error (Line 0) on Windows 11/10
- Fix No Audio Output Device Is Installed on Windows 11/10
- Lid Open Action Missing? Try this fix on Windows 11/10
- Fix Discord installation has failed on Windows 11/10
- macOS DMG Files on Windows 11/10: How to Extract and Open
- How to Change Lid Open Action on Windows 11/10 Laptop
- Fix This File Is Too Big to Recycle on Windows 11/10
- How to Enable and use Microsoft Edge bar in Windows 11/10
- How to Downgrade/Rollback Nvidia GPU Drivers on Windows 11/10
- How to Change Default Font on Windows 11