If you’re having trouble selecting the desired drive to install Xbox games on your Windows 11 PC, this post will help you resolve the issue. Some users have reported experiencing difficulty choosing a specific drive to install their games, resulting in new games being installed on the default drive.
This can be inconvenient, particularly for those who prefer to keep their games on a separate drive. Furthermore, large Xbox games can take up a lot of space on your C drive, causing your computer to slow down.
In this post, we will show you how to choose your preferred drive to install Xbox games if you are unable to do so using the Xbox app.
Attention Windows Users!!
Facing issues on your Windows PC every now and then? We would recommend you use the Restoro PC Repair tool.
It is a one-stop solution to repair common computer errors, protect your Windows PC from data loss, malware, hardware failure, Registry issues, BSOD errors, etc. and optimize your PC for maximum performance in just three simple steps:
- Download Restoro Tool that comes with Patented Technologies (see patents here).
- Install and click on Start Scan to find the issues on your Windows PC.
- Finally, click on Repair All to fix the issues.
4,533,876 users have downloaded Restoro till now.
Fix Xbox App Can’t Choose Drive Issue
If the Xbox app can’t choose a drive in Windows 11, we recommend the following solutions:
1. Check the default Xbox games location
Begin by checking where your system installs new apps by default, as well as where the Xbox app installs games by default. If either or both of these locations are showing Drive C, change the location to your preferred directory on your system.
Check the Xbox settings
To check this,
1. Launch the Xbox app and go to Settings > General.
2. Then, under the Game install options, check the drive name listed under Change where this app installs games by default.
If it’s not the drive you’re looking for, change it using the available dropdown.
Change the default storage device on the Xbox app
To check this in your system settings,
1. Open Settings.
2. Then under System settings, go to Storage > Advanced storage options > Where new content is saved.
3. Using the drop-down list available under New apps will save to, select the drive you’d like your Xbox games to install to.
Once your games are installed, switch back to Drive C: to install new apps on your Windows 11 PC.
2. Uninstall Gaming Services temporarily
This workaround has helped a few users install Xbox games on their desired drives. See if it works for you.
1. Close the Xbox app.
2. Then open PowerShell with administrator rights. Type the following command in the PowerShell window:
Get-AppxPackage gamingservices -allusers | remove-appxpackage -allusers
The above command will uninstall Gaming Services from your system. Now open the Xbox app.
2. It will ask you to install necessary services, which you must ignore (if it allows you to do so) until you download and install the games.
You may now be able to choose a drive while installing the game. Once the games are installed, reinstall Gaming Services via the Microsoft Store.
3. Repair the Xbox app
If the Xbox app is preventing you from choosing a drive to install games, repairing it may fix the issue. Follow these steps to repair the Xbox app:
1. Open Windows settings.
2. Go to Apps > Installed apps.
3. Search for the Xbox app, click on the 3 dots icon next to the Xbox app, and select Advanced options.
4. Scroll down to the Reset section and click on the Repair button.
Allow Windows to repair the Xbox app.
Now relaunch the Xbox app and see if it allows you to choose a desired drive to install games.
4. Move Xbox Games to Another Drive
By default, Microsoft Store apps and games are installed in the WindowsApps folder, which is a hidden folder that requires you to take ownership to access it on your PC.
However, you can move your installed games to the desired location on your Windows 11 PC once you take ownership of the WindowsApps folder.
Before making any changes to the restricted folders on your system, it is important to create a system restore point.
Here’s how to move your Xbox games to another drive:
1. Open File Explorer and navigate to C: > Program Files.
2. Right-click on the WindowsApps folder and select the Properties option from the context menu.
3. In the WindowsApps Properties window, go to the Security tab and click on the Advanced button at the bottom right.
4. Click on the Change option next to the Owner field.
5. In the Select User or Group window, click on the Advanced button in the bottom left.
6. In the next window that pops up, click on the Find Now button.
7. Select your username from the search results and click OK three times to close all windows.
Once you’ve taken ownership of the WindowsApps folder, change the folder permissions to move your installed games to the desired location.
However, after moving the game files, duplicate files are still stored in the default drive. Therefore, you need to delete these files to free up space on your system.
5. Install the game using GamePass (via Microsoft Store)
Alternatively, you can install the game via Microsoft Store using GamePass to fix the issue. Here’s how:
1. Open the Microsoft Store app.
2. Search for the game you want to download.
3. Download and install the game using the ‘Install with GamePass’ option.
4. Select the drive where you’d like to install the game.