Windows 11 is now the face of Microsoft in the computer OS market and almost all the new machines will now be available with this new version of Windows. Older laptops with the Windows 10 are also getting the update to run Windows 11.
Windows 10 was the first OS from the company to have a standby mode, making it possible to decide what to do if you close the lid of the laptop. There are three states namely, sleep, modern standby, or hibernate modes to make the user resume the previous session after opening the lid.
And in this post, I am going to show you how you can change the lid open actions on your Windows 11 and Windows 10 laptops as per your convenience and needs.
Changing the Lid open actions in Windows 11 and Windows 10
Before you follow the below steps and change the lid open action on your Windows PC, I would suggest you read tips from Microsoft to take care of your laptop battery in order to have a good idea about how your new settings are gonna affect your battery life. Let’s now begin the steps to change the lid open actions on Windows.
1. Search for Control Panel and open it.
2. In the Control Panel window, make sure to switch the View by option to Category.
3. Now click on Hardware and Sound.
4. Go to Power Options.
5. On the Power Options window, click on the Change plan settings option that is located next to your current power plan.
6. You will now be on the Edit Plan Settings window. Here, click on the Change advanced power settings option to open the Power Options window.
7. Now, click on the little plus icon (+) icon next to the Power buttons and lid section and then on the plus icon next to the Lid open action section.
8. There will be two options called On battery and Plugged in to set the open lid action for both scenarios. Select either of the two actions from the drop-down menu at your convenience:
- Do nothing: This will make sure nothing will happen when you open the laptop lid.
- Turn on the display: This will make sure to light up your laptop display every time you open the lid.
9. Lastly, click on OK to confirm the changes.
What if “Lid Open Action” is missing
A number of laptop users have reported that after they click on the Change advanced power settings option, the Power Options window appears but they are not able to find the Lid Open Action.
This is because there are no Power buttons and lid section present there. And in order to have the Lid Open action on your PC, you’ll have to enable the Power button and lid option.
If you are also facing the same thing, then this can be fixed by simply running a command in the command prompt.
1. Search for cmd and run the command prompt as administrator
2. In the command prompt window, execute the following command:
powercfg -attributes SUB_BUTTONS 99ff10e7-23b1-4c07-a9d1-5c3206d741b4 -ATTRIB_HIDE
3. Once done, restart your PC and the Power button and lid option should be there now.
4. If you want to remove the Power button and lid option again just like it was hidden previously, simply execute the follwoing command in the command prompt and restart your PC:
powercfg -attributes SUB_BUTTONS 99ff10e7-23b1-4c07-a9d1-5c3206d741b4 +ATTRIB_HIDE
So this is how you change the lid open action on your Windows 11 or Windows 10 PC and I am hoping that the process to do so is clear to you now. You can set the lid open action to either do nothing or can set it to turn on the display of the laptop.
Moreover, for those whose Power button and lid option is not available, you can run a simple command in CMD to make it appear in the options. That command is also mentioned above along with a detailed tutorial on how to do so.
Hello, thank you for this article.
However, I have tried it on my Lenovo Yoga but it doesn’t work.
I also tried the command, but still no luck. The “Power buttond and lid” option is still unavailable.
If the lid open action is missing, you can consider this guide: https://iexplainers.com/fix-lid-open-action-missing-on-windows/
Thank you! That was very, very helpful. I didn’t have the Lid Open Action option at first, but I followed the directions further down. It’s now not turning on automatically when I open the lid!! Appreciate your help!!