A majority of the crypto holders used MetaMask as their go-to exchange wallet for transacting cryptocurrency across the globe. The same is also used for purchasing NFTs from places like OpenSeas. Though MetaMask is one of the most widely used and popular crypto wallet service, there have been and will always be a number of users who faces issues with it. For instance, there are users who face the issue of MetaMask not connecting to OpenSea. This may not seem to be a big deal as it may not impact directly to your crypto assets, but what if all of a sudden all your cryptocurrencies and Web 3.0 tokens gets disappeared. Quite freaking right?
Well, this is actually happening with some of the MetaMask users who are reporting that their tokens or crypto balance is not showing there in the MetaMask wallet. If you are also going through this problem and want a solution to this then bear with me in this fixing guide.
How to Fix if MetaMask is not showing Balance or Tokens
The absence of the balance or tokens in MetaMask may be due to some kind of issue with the cache files or the network. This is quite common and there is nothing to worry about. Here are the ways to fix if MetaMask is not showing balance in the wallet.
Fix 1: Check your login account
It is quite possible that MetaMask is not showing the balance because you are not logged in to your main account where you are having the crypto balance. If you have more than one MetaMask account with no balance in either of those, make sure that you are using MetaMask with the account that actually has the balance and not the empty one.
Fix 2: Check your Internet connection
A weak internet connection can oppose MetaMast to not fetch your balance and another thing properly. Metamask is an internet-based extension/application and hence it constantly asks for an active internet connection. Make sure your device, on which you are using MetaMask, has one. You can check it by simply doing an online speed test. Try to reconnect to the Wi-Fi network, restart your router or reconnect the ethernet cable to refresh the internet connection.
Fix 3: Restart the device
Depending on whether you are using the MetaMask extension or a mobile app, consider restarting your PC/phone is a thing that you should also perform as a preliminary measure to make sure any bug or glitch is not causing the issue. Hence consider restarting your device.
Fix 4: Try disabling the VPN
If you are connected to a VPN network then it is possible that the issue is occurring due to that. Though VPN is used for security and online anonymity, sometimes it can cause faulty connection issues, especially if you are not using a reliable VPN. Hence you should consider disabling the VPN on your PC/smartphone and then reopen MetaMask to check if the issue is fixed.
Fix 5: Clear MetaMask cache
The faulty or corrupted cache files can put you in a situation where the wallet is not showing the balance. You can try clearing the cache data of the MetaMask app or the extension depending on where you are facing the issue.
To clear the cache data of MetaMask Extension in Google Chrome:
1. Click on the MetaMask extension.
2. Right-click anywhere in the empty space of the extension window and click on Inspect.
3. Switch to the Application tab in the inspection window and click on the Storage option from the left pane under the Application section.
4. Finally, click on the Clear site data button.
Similarly, clear the cache of the MetaMask app on an Android phone. For this, go to Settings > Apps > MetaMask > Clear Data and Cache. This process may vary from phone to phone as there are many different custom android skins that the manufacturers use like MIUI, One UI, ColorOS, Realmi UI, etc.
Fix 6: Switch the networks
If you are now able to see your tokens on the MetaMask wallet, it may be because your wallet currently being on a crypto network over which you hold no tokens. For example, if you have Etherium in your MetaMask wallet, it is required that your MetaMask wallet is on the Etherium Mainnet network and not on some other network. Similarly, if you have BNB, in your balance, make sure to switch the network to the Binance Smart Chain network. to switch the MetaMask networks:
1. Click on the Metamask icon to open it.
2. Click on the network dropdown menu to select the appropriate blockchain network.
3. Now from the list of networks select an appropriate one. For instance, if you have Etherium, select the Ethereum Mainnet network. If the Binance Smart Chain network is not listed there, you can add an appropriate one by clicking on the Add Network button.
Once the network is switched to Binance Smart Chain, try to connect to OpenSea again and you should be good to go.
Fix 7: Try resetting your MetaMask account
You can also try resetting your MetaMask account. Resetting the account will erase all your MetaMask data like transactions and activity except the crypto balance that you have on your wallet address. If your MetaMask wallet is having some issue that is causing it to not show the balance, resetting an account is a good option.
Note: After resetting the MetaMask account you’ll be needed to sign in again and for that, it will ask for your credentials and your unique Secret Recovery Phrase. Make sure to note it down somewhere by going to MetaMask profile picture > Settings > Security & Privacy > Reveal Secret Recovery Phrase
1. Open the MetaMask extension, click on the profile photo and go to Settings.
2. Go to Advanced and click on the Reset Account button.
Fix 8: Update/Reinstall Metamask
It is possible that your MetaMask app or extension is outdated, which is cause incompatibility issues, making it not show your balance to tokens. In such a case you should make sure that your app or extension that you are using, is up to date. To update the app you can simply go to the MetaMask App Store or Play Store page. And to update the extension/add-on on Google Chrome, Brave or Firefox:
Update extensions in Google Chrome or Brave Browser
1. Open Chrome/Brave and enter the following address in the address bar:
chrome://extensions/ ( For Chrome) or
brave://extensions (For Brave)
2. Toggle on the Developer mode.
3. Finally, click on the Update button to update all the outdated extensions to their latest versions.
Update Add-ons in Firefox
1. Open Firefox and enter the following address in the address bar:
2. Click on the gear icon located below the add-on search bar and checkmark the Update Add-ons Automatically option.
If the app/extension is up to date already, please make sure to reinstall it on your device to make sure the issue gets resolved if it is from the software side of your smartphone or browser.
With that said, here comes the end of this fixing guide. I hope this would have helped you to solve the issue and you may now be able to see your MetaMask wallet balance/tokens. This issue generally occurs when you don’t have a proper internet connection or when you have switched to a different crypto network. Hence connecting to a reliable connection and switching to an appropriate network will solve the issue. However, in some cases, outdated app or extensions, corrupted cache files or issue within the installed app/extension causes the issue. Hence keep your extension/app updated, consider reinstalling it and also clear the cache to refresh the saved cache files.
- Fix: MetaMask Not Connecting to OpenSea
- Metamask Not Working? 7 Ways To Fix It
- How to set Google as default search engine in Brave browser
- How To Fix Google Chrome Dark Mode Won’t Turn Off
- 6 Ways to Fix ERR_ICANN_NAME_COLLISION in Google Chrome
- 8 Ways to Fix DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET Error in Chrome
- 9 Ways to Fix ERR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED Error in Chrome
- 7 Ways to Fix ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE error in Google Chrome
- 11 Ways to Fix ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED error in Google Chrome
- 9 Ways to Fix ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error in Google Chrome